-
Sophia-Elise Jenks commented on the post, Canto I, on the groupblog
Eighteenth-Century Innovations 2 days, 8 hours agoWhat isn’t clear to me here is how the Sylphs, who I have interpreted as very fairy-like and feminine so far, are associated with women straying off of what I assume is the accepted path for womanhood?
-
Sophia-Elise Jenks commented on the post, Canto I, on the groupblog
Eighteenth-Century Innovations 2 days, 8 hours agoWhat isn’t clear to me here is who Caryl (a muse, presumably) is, and why they are relevant to the matter at hand? Is this a reference that deepens the understanding of the point being made by the poem?
-
Sophia-Elise Jenks commented on the post, Town Eclogues: Saturday; The Small-Pox, on the groupblog
Eighteenth-Century Innovations 6 days, 15 hours agoOops I hadn’t realized we were required to do two until I was going back through Brightspace today – anyway, Montague writes Flavia to believe herself to have been better than everyone else before smallpox brought […]
-
Sophia-Elise Jenks commented on the post, Town Eclogues: Saturday; The Small-Pox, on the groupblog
Eighteenth-Century Innovations 1 week agoThis line perfectly summarizes Flavia’s lament of the entire poem: that with a loss of beauty comes a loss of power. It begs the question, though, is Montague critiquing the system of women’s pretty privilege, or […]
-
Sophia-Elise Jenks commented on the post, Chapter 3, on the groupblog
Eighteenth-Century Innovations 2 weeks, 1 day agoI was not at all surprised that Gulliver didn’t actually like his previous master – I was more surprised that he did not act on this information while still in his care.
-
Sophia-Elise Jenks joined the group
ENGL 367 Fall 2026 2 weeks, 6 days ago -
Gillian Paku and
Sophia-Elise Jenks are now friends 2 weeks, 6 days ago
-
Sophia-Elise Jenks became a registered member 2 weeks, 6 days ago